Pasta Alla Nitin -Eggplant & Tomato Sauce
Pasta Alla Nitin – Recipe adapted from Joe Pasqualetto, Rucola, Brooklyn, NY
It is a slightly modified Classic Sicilian pasta dish to as per availability in India
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, very thinly sliced
- 2 medium eggplants, de-seeded, cut into small cubes (about 2 cups) and whole peeled tomatoes, drained and diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- Salt, to taste
- 500 gm short-cut pasta ( I used Fusilli here)
- 1 cup packed basil leaves, torn
- Crushed red chilli flakes as per taste
- Crushed pepper corns as per taste
- Grated cheese (parmesan or any)
- Add the olive oil to a saucepan and heat it over medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot enough, add the garlic and cook till it is light brown in few minutes
- Add the eggplant and cook, stirring sometimes until they are nearly tender, about 10 minutes. Make sure you
- Add tomatoes, season with salt, and cook for around 7- 8 minutes
- Boil the salted water in a large pot. Add the pasta and cook just enough that it is neither crunchy nor too soft
- Once pasta is cooked, drain and transfer it to the tomato sauce. Toss while adding half the basil and red chili pepper flakes to combine.
- Now simmer until the pasta has soaked a bit of the sauce and the basil has drooped for around 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer to plate and serve with remaining basil and garnish with grated remaining cheese