Grilled watermelon with Crab stick
~Grilled Watermelon and Crab Stick with Avocado Puree~
Today I am sharing this exotic dish recipe innovated and curated by chef Japvir Vohra, Executive chef of Double tree by Hilton. Among other laurels, Japvir Vohra aalong with Chef Yaashwant from Tarta were the winners under the category of Best Desserts/Patisserie (Fine Dining) during the Times Food G uide Awards 2015, held in Pune
(Chef Japvir Vohra)
In his interview to Financial Express he said “In the near future we will see more restaurants replicating the vibrant street food of South East Asia, while others will experiment with the yet unexplored regional treasures like the food of Northern Thailand (Issan cuisine). The fascination with Korean/Japanese will continue as cultural and regional ties between both the countries strengthen. People have increasingly been experimenting with Modern Japanese be it in terms of vegetarian okonimiyaki (Japanese pancake) or kino tofu in their suimono,”
Now coming to the recipe, which looks very simple to prepare.
- 500 gm watermelon horizontally cut into half
- 4 nos crab stick
- 100 ml lemon juice
- 15 ml sesame oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 gm castor sugar
- 5.5 oz. (156 g) Alaskan king crab meat
- ½ cup (115 g) of finely sliced spring onions
- few pieces of red radish thinly
- 10 gm ginger cut into julienne
- 8 pieces of edible flowers petals
- 15 gm togarashi powder
Ingredients for avocado puree:
- 1 ripe avocado peeled with pit removed
- 5 gm ginger minced a
- pinch of wasabi paste 5 ml lemon juice
- 5 ml sesame oil
- salt to taste
- half a pinch of togarashi powder
(image courtesy: IndiaPages.in )
- Prepare the avocado puree by scooping, mashing and whipping with a whisk until smooth.
- Add all remaining ingredients to the avocado puree and whisk until fully incorporated and blended. Check for seasoning and adjust if required. Keep refrigerated.
- Take the watermelon and cut into half horizontally, removing the outer rind and cutting into 4 rounds with a 2 cm thickness and 9 cm diameter.
- Place the cut watermelon in a deep bowl to marinate with the lemon juice, sesame oil, spring onion, sugar, salt and pepper and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Preheat the grill and quickly grill the watermelon for about 1 minute on each side or until nice grill marks are achieved, remove from the heat and chill for 10 minutes.
- Over a heated hot plate, sear the crab stick and set aside.
- With a butter brush, lightly paint the base of the grilled watermelon with sesame oil, then gently press the finely sliced spring onions onto the base of the watermelon to form a crust, shaking off any access onion.
- Place the grilled watermelon in the center on the plate.
- Place the chilled crab stick on top of the grilled watermelon.
- Put 3 dollops of the avocado puree on top and at the base of the crab stick and then garnish with thinly sliced radish, ginger julienne and edible flowers then finally lightly dust with togarashi powder.